On 22 July 2015 at 18:37, Guy Harris <g...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2015, at 9:37 AM, Graham Bloice <graham.blo...@trihedral.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Most, if not all, will be running Wireshark unelevated, as this is a
> basic tenet of Wireshark use. There are millions of lines of code in
> Wireshark dissectors and they really shouldn't be given admin privs.
>
> Does anybody know whether there exists, in Windows:
>
>         1) an inter-process communications mechanism, either documented or
> reverse-engineered *and* likely to remain intact and usable from release to
> release and in future releases, over which a HANDLE can be passed;

DuplicateHandle -
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724251(v=vs.85).aspx

A HANDLE to what though, the handle types that can be duplicated with that
call are limited?

If it's a socket HANDLE, then WSADuplicateSocket (
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms741565(v=vs.85).aspx)
is used.  This creates a structure that can be handed off to the target
process by some IPC mechanism.

The IPC Mechanisms supported by Windows are listed here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365574(v=vs.85).aspx,
pipes are commonly used.  I don't think there are issues with pipes between
a non-elevated process and an elevated one, but I haven't personally tried
that.

        2) a mechanism by which a non-privileged process can request that a
> subprocess be run with elevated privileges - presumably requiring either
> user consent or something else to indicate trust - with such an IPC channel
> established between the non-privileged process and the privileged process?

A way to elevate a subprocess is via a call to ShellExecuteEx() setting the
lpVerb in the passed in SHELLEXECUTEINFO structure to "runas".  See
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vistacompatteam/archive/2006/09/25/771232.aspx.

This will invoke UAC if enabled (a it should be).

> UN*Xes that support libpcap generally have 1) in the form of UNIX-domain
> sockets (or, in newer versions of OS X, Mach messages, over which those
> newer versions of OS X support passing file descriptors), and probably have
> 2) in the form of, if nothing else, sudo or some GUI equivalent.
>
> The idea here is to have libpcap - and WinPcap, if the answers to those
> questions are both "yes" - invoke a *small* helper process to do what work
> needs elevated privileges to open capture devices, turn on monitor mode,
> change channels, etc., so that programs using those libraries do not
> *themselves* require elevated privileges.
>
> If the answer for the first question is "no", then do we have some way to
> run dumpcap with elevated privileges and have a pipe between it and
> Wireshark/TShark?

That's what currently happens on Windows using a named pipe, without the
elevation though.

--
Graham Bloice