I am hoping to do exactly that at some point, it's still in early stages at
this point though.

>       Coming back on this and how to solve it, here's a suggestion I have, let
> me know what you guys think :
>
>       - Whenever a field is really a helper rather than the actual parsed data
> (an alternate representation of data in the packet for example, here
> tcp.payload
> would be the alternate representation of the data parsed in the following
> layers)
> mark the field as FI_GENERATED, or create a new flag for helper fields and
> mark
> them as such
>

> It is a idea but GENERATED it is not the good field..
>
> it is not possible to ignore some hf on your tools ?

It would be possible but not scalable. People add new dissectors to Wireshark
or modify them all the time, and as a result keeping static lists is not
something that works long term. We'd need an automated way of recognizing such
fields. Hence the idea of a flag...

Ultimately I think it would be really super valuable to be able to
differentiate fields that are a direct mapping of what is in the packet (in
terms of offset/length/datatype) and those that are some interpretation of
packet content.