On Jul 4, 2018, at 2:27 AM, Dario Lombardo <lom...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 8:49 PM Guy Harris <g...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Should we, instead, get rid of the scope arguments to those functions and,
>> instead, have separate functions, one of which serves the original purpose,
>> using file scope, and one of which serves this new purpose, using
>> pinfo->pool scope?
>
> It looks neat, but I see 2 issues:
>
> 1) grep -r  "p_\(add\|get\|remove\)_proto_data" ../epan/dissectors/* | wc -l
> gives me 881 calls to those functions. It could be harsh to change all of them

Time for me to learn Coccinelle:

        http://coccinelle.lip6.fr

and download and install it.  (An ed script could probably do a lot of it, but
it's past time to get Coccinelle into my toolkit.)

> as well as breaking compatibility with existing code outside wireshark
> (plugins?).

We don't guarantee API compatibility between major or dot releases, only
between dot-dot releases.

> 2) are we sure that a call to (eg.)
> p_proto_add_data_with_file_scope_or_another_name() is more meaningful than
> p_proto_add_data(wmem_file_scope(), ...)? How could those 2 functions be
> named to recall the actual goal?

{add,get}_persistent_proto_data()

{add,get}_per_layer_packet_info()

or something such as that.  The scope isn't relevant, the *purpose of the data*
is relevant, and dictates the scope to use.

(It also removes the possibility to get the scope wrong, using a scope not
supported by the routines.)