> On 14 Jun 2019 (Fri), at 22:25, Roland Knall <rkn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There is a patch currently waiting for inclusion. It would allow for
> dissectors to easily make credentials (username/password) available and
> present them in a tool window in Wireshark.
> The main concern here is, that this could lead companies, evaluating
> Wireshark to be used within  the company, to deny the use of the program, due
> to wrongly identifying Wireshark as a hacking tool.

Personally I don't like the option to have a central place to add credential
information to show to the user. I think this crosses the (very thin) line
between "being able to see a password" and "being a tool to extract passwords".

Other tools for extracting passwords from pcap files do exist already (just two
results from a quick google search):

- https://n0where.net/extract-data-from-pcap-files-pcredz
<https://n0where.net/extract-data-from-pcap-files-pcredz>
- https://github.com/DanMcInerney/net-creds
<https://github.com/DanMcInerney/net-creds>

So personally I do not see a use-case where there is added value to add this to
Wireshark.

Just my €0,02

Sake