On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 11:14 PM Jaap Keuter <jaap.keu...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> The display filter engine has no concept of individual instances of a field,
> either it’s there in a packet or not and its value is used in the expression.
> Where it is in the packet and in what relation to other fields in a display
> filter expression is of no concern of the display filter engine. It is a
> question that comes up once in a while, so its not unheard of, but no one has
> dared to venture into redoing the whole display filter engine design to make
> this possible. It would at least require an overhaul of the syntax, and I’m
> not even sure it is possible with the current dissection engine design.

I'm thinking of a gross hack like:

wlan.tag.number == <some-value> and found.wlan.tag.length >= <some-other-value>

Perhaps found would have to be somewhat more verbose to avoid matching
against some obscure protocol, or perhaps it should be:

wlan.tag.number == <some-value> and found:wlan.tag.length >= <some-other-value>

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe