On Jan 15, 2022, at 3:09 AM, Gisle Vanem <gisle.va...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anders Broman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Yes sounds like a good idea. Have been contemplating testing it too.
>
> I just installed the "Build Tools for Visual Studio 2022"
>
> https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/#build-tools-for-visual-studio-2022

"These Build Tools allow you to build Visual Studio projects from a
command-line interface."

Does that mean

        this is Visual Studio without the "Visual", i.e. it's all the
command-line tools, but without the IDE

or

        if you just install Visual Studio, you don't get the command-line tools
- you also have to install this?

The former sounds like "Command Line Tools for Xcode {version}" on macOS or
"don't install any IDE" on the free-software UN*Xes (I don't know whether
Oracle Studio offers that).

The latter seems less likely, as I think most IDEs either run the
compiler/linker/other tools directly or run some builder program (make,
msbuild, etc.) that runs the compiler/linker/other tools, but I guess if the
core of the compiler/linker are in libraries that the command-line tools link
with and that an IDE program could link with as well (say hello, LLVM), it
would be possible.