For wired network connections, promiscuous mode only works if you're
connected into a hub.  If you're connected into a switch, it won't.

The Linksys WRT54G - the access point I'm using - has a built-in switch,
however, I'm not sure if this built-in switch is for wired networks,
only, or if it's for wireless networks, as well.  If it's for wireless
networks, then that'd probably explain why I can't enter into
promiscuous mode, however, what would let me enter into promiscuous mode
for wireless networks, then?

Linksys has a stand-alone access point (WAP54G), however, the page on
Linksys' website that discusses it doesn't mention anything about a hub
or a switch.  Does that mean that wireless access points don't even use
hubs / switches?