I operate such a network and that's totally normal.  I wish there was
something like proxy ARP on the CMTS to mitigate that spurious traffic.

Frank

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Acy Nonyxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:27 PM
To: wireshark-users@wireshark.org
Subject: [Wireshark-users] ARP Broadcasts

I have broadband through my cable company. I unplugged the router and
plugged my computer directly into the cable modem and ran wireshark to see
what I would see.
What I see most is almost non-stop ARP broadcasts coming from the gateway
and going to all sorts of ip addresses, "Who has <ipaddress> Tell
<ipaddress>"
Is this normal? Should I be picking this up? What kind of network would
result in me getting all these ARP packets?
Thank you.