On Feb 23, 2024, at 2:42 PM, David Luu <manga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see there is a --time-stamp-precision flag parameter for tcpdump
> with option for nano(seconds) and also shorthand flags --nano,
> --micro. But actually supporting the value depends on the OS/hardware.
>
> I didn't see such option for dumpcap/tshark. Is it available, or
> planned on roadmap?

What's a "roadmap"? :-)

There is no detailed roadmap for Wireshark; some changes may manifest
themselves as projects intended for a given release, but others are just
"whatever somebody takes the time to do".

> Given the tools support other pcapng features like adding comment or
> overwriting/setting interface description, was curious to why
> timestamp precision support wasn't added by just using what
> tcpdump/libpcap already offers in that area.

Because nobody's taken the time to do so.

(And it's not specifically a pcapng feature - pcap also supports both
microsecond and nanosecond precision.)