You're right Steve, tabs will fail if the text just before the tab
overruns a tab stop, which will force you into the next tab stop.

What you can do is use spaces.  Set up a local variable that contains
nothing but 80 spaces.  Then, to output a column of text, use:

<@LEFT STR="<@VAR MYVAR><@VAR LOCAL$SPACES>" NUMCHARS=20>

This will pad the text to exactly 20 chars wide.  (You could
automatically size the columns by first finding the maximum string
width for each of your columns and then adding 1 to that number.)

This should work fine... however, you will still run into problems if
the user has their email client set up to use a proportional font by
default.  In this case, an HTML table would really be the only
consistent way to layout in columns... or, tell your clients that
"Comic Sans MS" isn't really a good choice for a default font! :)

Todd