Hi List,

I might be a bit late on this thread, never mind.

To keep people out who are not using a secure connection, you should specify 'requires
secure connection' on the web server. With IIS, this can be done at the file or
directory level. Properties --> [File/Directory] Security --> Secure Connection.

To deal with paths, I would suggest two application variables: appRootUrl and
secureAppRootUrl, stored in a .ini file. This has the advantage that you can
test/develop the app on an uncertified box simply by making the secureAppRootUrl a
straight "http://myDevServer...";, then change it to "https://myRegisteredDomain..."; on
the certified production box. The port sniffing trick suggested by Scott can be handy
as well. Beware that for secure pages, you need to serve images and stylesheets over a
secure connection, otherwise your users will see the annoying "This page contains
insecure items" warning.

Good luck.
Secure Simon.