This got me for the longest time.
the best way to think the "return variable" is it is defining the
variable to use within the method.

So within you method do a final assign to this variable
-example-
<@ASSIGN NAME="returnValue"
VALUE="@@method$AttribValue[1,@@Method$Attribute]" SCOPE="method">

NOTE: change the type to match what your returning

and when you call your method in the TAF do so within an
-example-
<@ASSIGN NAME="Protect" SCOPE="local" VALUE='<@CALLMETHOD OBJECT="OOobj"
SCOPE="local" METHOD="GetStyle(@@local$StyVal,style:cell-protect)"
METHODTYPE="invoke">'>

Then just use the values in the newly assigned variable.

Hope this helps ;-)

Ben Johansen - http://www.pcforge.com
Authorized Witango Reseller http://www.pcforge.com/WitangoGoodies.htm
Authorized MDaemon Mail Server Reseller