http://www.canadapost.ca/business/offerings/address_management/can/other_data-e.asp

where it provides more information. I think that Radio Shack is using this in their Point of Sale devices in their stores.

Canadian Postal codes are 6 characters that are letter-number-letter space number-letter-number. The first three characters are the Forward Sorting Address which designates the general area of the address. The first character designates the Province or Territory and the second and third designate the location within a town or city. Ontario is the largest Province and has postal codes starting with either K, L, M, N, or P. Most Provinces have only one letter.

So far I've only written routines that check to see that the data entered only contains letters and numbers, and that the length of the data is 6 characters. I use the <@KEEP> tag to strip out spaces and dashes that some people might enter. I suppose that it wouldn't be that difficult to add a routine to check for valid FSA's based on the user's selection for Province.

Hope this helps,

Steve Smith

Oakbridge Information Solutions
Office: (519) 624-4388