From:   Ben Johansen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Tue 10/14/2003 2:35 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        RE: Witango-Talk: witango session cookie question
I don't think using the hidden is such a good idea.
Someone could view source and get a student idea if hijacked.

You could set a long term cookie with a student ID when they signup
And then use session cookie to hold the logged in ID, this way you could
check to see if the IDs match between the 2 periodically and if they
don't match kickem

If you use the session cookie you could also kick em if that doesn't
exists. For instance they open a different browser on the same system or
copy and send the URL to a friend. Say for example they start the
session with IE and then open mozilla and copy and paste URL. When they
try to go anywhere under Mozilla you have code to check for the
existence of the session cookie, if not there, kickem out. See the
session cookie is linked to browser and is not stored in the cookie jar
so it makes the session hard to hijack.

Hope this makes sense

Ben Johansen - http://www.pcforge.com
Authorized Witango & MDaemon Reseller