John,

Looks good.  This dovetails with the next elements of our development.
Right now we implement content management and print-on-demand in an
intranet, and CSS2 works just fine for this.  The next step of course is
to allow people to email brochures to clients, and a PDF would one way to
go.

An issue we wrestle with is the human side of this -- how do you assure
yourself that users are printing the right version of the document.  The
XHTML is generated on the fly, and in most case people won't save a web
archive.  (And I suppose could embed a hash and some JavaScript that
would go back to the server to validate the document).

The PDF is a little trickier:  does the PDF JavaScript API let me do
something similar, and is this API implemented in iText?

I'll have to investigate.  Thanks for the tip!