Title: Document processing

   OK, here's something that we have run into that I hope someone has already addressed. We are setting up an electronic document routing and approval system. We are standardizing on PDF documents. We are running on Windows 2003 and using Witango 5.0 Server.

   We have set up a process where someone can scan a document, or create a document in PDF format and write it to a specific directory on our server. No problem there. This person can also specify another person in the chain or approval who will receive an e-mail telling them they have documents that need their attention. No problem there either. When that person logs into the system they are presented with a list of all documents that need their attention, and clicking on one link in the list they get to actually view the document. Again, no problem. All of this is up and working. Now we get to the difficult part.

   I want them to be able to electronically sign the document and save it back to the server. I do not want to force them to download the document, sign it, and then reupload the document. Here is our dilemma. Anyone can open the document. When they click on the Adobe save icon, the path to the last directory they accessed is displayed. This might be to their My Documents folder, their MP3 play list, wherever they went last. We have a virtual directory set up on our server, and if they just so happened to have gone there they will be pointing to the right place and able to save the document there. Most likely though they will not be pointing there and many people we are planning to give this system to are not sophisticated enough to find their way to the right directory on the server.

   What I'm looking for is maybe some way of pointing their directory to the right directory behind the scenes (unlikely, I know) or some way of making it easy for them to save the documents in the right place. My ideal is to make this as foolproof as possible. Anyone done this before and have any suggestion on how to accomplish this?

Gene Wolf
Business Systems Analyst, TLMN
DRS Optronics, Inc.
2330 Commerce Park Drive