I am using the free version on a site that is non-profit. I cannot comment on the paid version of the program. I do know they are identical. The only option for support for non-licensed use is a forum they have set up. I haven't been there for a while, but last year when I needed some answers to some questions and issues I was having, it would typically take a week or two for a response. That is pretty slow!

Another thing that irked me is the fact that they used to have some template pages you could download which gave different examples on setting up returns, sorts and stuff like that. For some reason, they pulled those pages off their site but the links to them still remain. Not sure why this was done. Maybe they thought to many people were taking advantage of the free version and they needed more paying customers.

dunno

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

You are hearing that Witango is not a good tool for this task.

I spent a long time trying to build a search engine in Witango and finally gave up. I looked at Swish-e and tried installing the latest Perl and their program. I never got it to work on a Win2k server. Sorry, but the learning curve was too much for me in the time I had to get this together. I spent days on just the installation and configuration and finally gave up. (Sorry Bill, I know you love the program)

Understood. I had plenty of perl experience so configuring the spider wasn't a problem for me, but can see how someone else might have a problem with it. If you don't have your paths setup properly the learning curve can seem very steep.

I ended up using a program called Alkaline Search Engine which was very good for a novice like me. I had it up and running in about a half a day. Requirements for me was to have the ability to weight different aspects of the pages being indexed, control the URL list of what to crawl (how deep, by directory or URL), be able to control the time the robot crawls, the ability to set a threshhold of changed pages to crawl, the ability to return just one URL per site, sort by weight, date, alpha domain, highlite keywords, etc.

What was nice is no Perl and a html front end to watch crawls and stats. All I needed to learn was about 100 tags that are unique to their program.

A word of caution though, no support. They have a forum, but it sometimes takes weeks to get an answer.

Is this the product you're talking about?  http://alkaline.vestris.com/

When you say there is no support, are you refering to someone who isn't a licensed (paying) user of the product. Or is the support only slow for those that aren't paying?

Just my 2 cents.

Hmmmm....
Looking at swish-e, it's clear that it's a more powerful approach, but...

If I want to keep life simple and have everything running from witango -
even if I won't get all the swish-e bells and whistles, is there a better
approach? Or am I hearing that witango isn't really a good tool for this
task?