There are some good customizable FTP applets out there that would allow you to handle the uploading of the files through a browser but without using HTTP. I never liked using Witango or any App server for that matter to handle the uploading of a file, especially a large one. I use the HTTP uploading capabilities for "light" file upload duties, and leave the rest up to FTP.

/John

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

This brings up another question I have on file uploads. I wrote a program 2 years back, but every time a file was uploaded, it pretty much pegged CPU usage on the webserver. This effectively locked all connections until the upload was complete. Large uploads were a very big problem for me. The sites wanting to utilize this were printers that jacked around fairly large files. 10 - 100 mg or more.

I am running a Win2k Server fully updated and patched with IIS5. Does this lock still happen on Windoze machines???? I need to set up something for a client, but was seriously thinking of a new server to do this because of all the problems I was having in the past. Has anyone found a workaround for this?

Thanks!

Not sure I know what problem you're refering to... I have an application that has upload forms and have no problem with the uploading functionality on any modern browser, including Safari and Mozilla.

/John

Wayne Irvine wrote:

Has anyone found the solution to the Safari upload problem?

Loads of my sites have forms for uploading data and files and work fine in
IE on all platforms but fail in Safari (and I assume Mozilla).

A search of the web confirms that this is a known problem, but not with a
known solution.

Wayne Irvine

                 Byte Services Pty Ltd
              http://www.byteserve.com.au/
                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Ph 02 9960 6099   Mob 0409 960 609   Fax 02 9960 6088