tom,

"Tom Ferguson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 01/02/2005 09:50:54 AM:

> There's probably some simple way to do this, but it escapes me at the
> moment.

> I have a form with several large fields (8000 chars).  They are defined
as
> Textarea fields so there is no way to limit their size via HTML (that I
know
> of).  So if someone types 8010 chars, SQL throws an overflow error
> ([Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]String data, right truncation 22001)

> How can I avoid this situation?  I'd like to either limit the number of
> characters in the input, or bypass the error.

> Any suggestions?

when i use textareas, i tend to put a javascript on the page which checks
the length of the data in the field before leaving the page.  if it's too
long, i pop up an alert and abort the submit.

cheers,

russell

> TIA

> Tom Ferguson

DISCLAIMER

This email and  any files  transmitted with it are confidential and
may be subject to copyright. They are intended solely for the use of
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
received  this message in error please notify the  AGSM  immediately
by return email or reverse charge telephone call to +61 2 9931 9200.
author and do not necessarily represent those of the  AGSM, except
where an authorised sender specifically states them to be the views
of the AGSM.

It is your  responsibility to check  this email and any  attachments
for the presence of viruses. The AGSM accepts no liability  for any
damage caused by any virus transmitted.