I agree that the project leader should determine the DBMS. The only issue is what kind of project you're hosting at SF. If it's a community effort, then the choice of db will influence the number of developers who can contribute, andk the project leader also needs to consider features that are not in all DBMS, such as transaction support, row locking, stored procedures, in addition to directing the architecture. But whatever is chosen, the end result should be (I think) a downloadable package that can be installed and run, with same pre-requisites, like witango and a DBMS.

On the other hand, many of the responses to this thread were about posting components, rather than working on a community project. Components seem to me more CPAN perl modules, and I'm not sure that sourceforge is the best spot for these, as I usually look to sourceforge for a more complete solution, a la netatalk and phpBB, which are two SF projects that I personnaly use.

bill