Doesn't xml require utf-8? Don't know for a fact, just seems like I picked that knwledge up on the street :).

Anyway, going to the issue of "umlauts, etc." from last week, if the problem is how the character is rendered on the client, it could be due to the encoding specified in the http header of the html <head>.

But I suspect there may also be a lingering gotcha in the Witango string manipulation tags. I presume that Witango string manipulation uses the character set specified in its environment variable (for whatever user it's running as). But if you want to manipulate strings in a different character set, you're in trouble.

bill