Title: Re: Witango-Talk: OS X witangod dies, way to auto-restart?
Just another data point. We have been running Witango 5.5, MySQL, 4DWebStar on xserves for almost two years with no issues.

From: Robert Garcia [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 1:09 PM
To:
witango-talk@witango.com
Subject: Re: Witango-Talk: OS X witangod dies, way to auto-restart?

It was a very difficult thing for me to go to windows. I went kicking and screaming. I went from Tango2000 for the mac, to Witango 5 for windows. But after all this time, it was definitely the best decision.

And more recently, because of all the bandwidth I use at my colocation center, I had the opportunity to get several XServe G5 DP machines to use free, or for almost nothing. It was a sponsorship kind of thing. I would then have to write up, and give testimonials and such. So did a bunch of testing on windows and mac. I still chose windows, and then proceeded to upgrade all of my windows hardware for my cost. And I would have LOVED to have gone to the XSERVEs. Cuz I think they are cool, and I love the mac.

Also, in Witango 5.5, they completely rewrote the code that handles db connections and such. And in 5.0, this was the area that caused any instabilities I saw in 5.0. I posted a very long message about my testing with v5.5, under load, regarding this major change.

I do understand your frustration, but I think this was an evolutionary change, and not a bug fix. I upgraded 4 machines and bought 2 more licenses. It was well worth it. My sites don't go down, although I have seen a cache issue, that I am still trying to reproduce.

Unfortunately, I am slowly moving off witango, for many reasons, most previously posted. It will take me most of 2006 to complete the move, though. Until then, 5.5.009 on windows is a VERY stable platform. But don't get me started on the dev studio, and documentation for things like java beans.

For a server platform, with every experience I have had, with many pieces of software, linux or windows is always a better choice than os x. I would move completely to linux, but I would have to do more testing with witango for linux. But is it even done for 5.5? As recently as a few weeks ago, it listed licenses for linux as PRESALE. What is the status on that? Anyone know?

Just a footnote, one other big reason for witango on windows, vs mac or linux, is extendability. There are by far more methods to connect to other services, like payflowpro, and other stuff like that through windows.

--

Robert Garcia
President - BigHead Technology