I strongly recommend

Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS

It's very readable, and even more useful to put together pages well. Covers CSS issues as well.

And what I use for design decisions is design consultants because I'm not too good with that myself.  Failing that, there applications such as RapidWeaver (Mac software) that provide designs for you that you can easily convert to use with Witango. Design and CSS work is done for you and it's very inexpensive at around $30.  Still need to use care and apply the principles in the "Bulletproof" book.

If you're on Windows, I am sure there are other similar options to do the same sort of thing.