Hi Dan,

I've never checked out Parallels, but VMWare is what I recommend.

VMWare is a more mature product than Virtual PC, and much more straightforward
to use then Virtual PC. I also have some licenses of Virtual PC with my MS
subscription, but prefer VMWare.

VMWare Workstation costs more, but they also have a FREE run only version for
existing Virtual Machines called VMWare Player.

But of course you need Workstation to create a VM setup for a licensed version
of Windows, but you might be able to create one with the Trial version of
Workstation, then just run it in Player.

There are lots of ready-made VM setups for all flavors of Linux that can run in
Player as well (all free), just because they don't have the same licensing
controls of a Windows Operation System.

Good luck.