Are you looking for INSERT... SELECT scope_identity() ??

That is a MS SQL function, MySQL has something similar "LAST_INSERT_ID()",
but you must make it on the same connection to make sure you actually get
the ID of the last row inserted.

Google these terms and see what you get.

Basically, the idea is to INSERT, then get the ID of the last insert, so
that you can then UPDATE other fields.

I tend to always set a UUID (one that I pass in the INSERT), so that I can
then get the record back with that UUID, should I need to get the actual ID
(or other auto-enter SQL columns).
--
Beverly Voth                       Tier3 Data & Web Services Group, LLC
606-864-0041                            http://www.tier3web.com/xml.htm

               Web Design & Hosting * Apple: ACN & ADC
   Certified FileMaker 7 & 9 Developer * FileMaker Business Alliance
    Coldfusion, Witango, PHP, MS SQL, MySQL, FMP, XML/XSLT, CSS
   Over 14 years experience integrating databases and the internet!