1st, Ben Johanson has been working for me for a couple of years now, and he has worked with me hard on one particular project. Not related, but he is having some serious digestive issues and isn't doing well, in the ER at the moment, so if you know him, you may want to wish him well. I am sure he would appreciate it.

BigHead's last major witango site, and by far biggest work in terms of scope and use is peachdirect.com.

http://www.peachdirect.com/

This system was not only a very sophisticated ecommerce site, basically a mini bestbuy type site, but also we wrote the entire backend, including all vendor fullfillment, vendor communication, and since this is a private credit card site, we wrote all of the communication modules custom for communicating to the bank. Its a very large system.

The site was written in witango, and then uses other languages, mainly realbasic to deal with the bank com and the vendor system and such. The peachdirect site is almost dormant now, but at its peak was doing over $20 million per month in orders. At its peak, witango could barely take it, we had lots of workarounds, and even wrote our own page caching system in witango to help with the load. Originally, several years ago, the witango site was only supposed to be up for a few months, until they went to a bigger system.

Well, the company has completely changed their name and launched a new site/system and are planning the $20 million/month level in just a couple of months. This time, we wrote the ENTIRE system in PHP and it is running on the Zend Platform. We have already ported large sites over from witango to php, but this was a monster. The interesting part is that every line of code is written in PHP. There is no perl, realbasic, java, nothing. Not only that, we are using standard PHP 5.1.6 from CentOS 5.2 distribution, with yum installable modules, like php-gd, php-xml, php-soap, etc. No pear, no roll your own stuff at all. We have used a couple of classes to generate excel files, and things like that, other than that, its all standard php, with the addition of some features like partial page caching from the Zend Platform.

In this huge project, I don't think we have run into ONE php bug. I can't think of a time we had to rewrite code, or create an external object to make up for a php bug or deficiency. Even all of the realbasic code that handled the bank and vendor communication is written in PHP, some scripts being run from command line via cron and such.

Anyway, I am not trying to sell php, I have no gain there, but as a developer I am amazed. To make the statement that we have not had one workaround, is amazing. XML just works, soap just works. The soap client is amazing, just give it a wsdl and call your method, like 3 lines of code. Many have contacted me if possible to port big projects over, yes it is.

Anyway, just thought I would share, don't forget to shoot ben a line if you know him.

Link to new site:

http://www.venue.com/

--

Robert Garcia