Jesse,

Thanks for the response. I need to elaborate I think.

Here is the challenge I am trying to solve. We use NetBoot to image machines on the network where I work. One challenge with that is that each machine has essentially the same name, except for an iterative number at the end of the name. That doesn't work for us. However, as part of the university internet safety protocol, we have to re- register our machines with the University at least once each year. The "registration" process allows us to add our own host name to their registry database.

Our idea was to have this little bit of code installed as a file in / usr/bin called getHostName.

Then after they were all imaged, we would use ARD and run this little bit of code as a unix command to each of the machines.

scutil --set ComputerName $(getHostname | cut -d . -f 1)
scutil --set LocalHostName $(getHostname | cut -d . -f 1)

These two items would activate getHostName in the user/bin folder, return the host name and name each machine the returned host name.

I got this idea from another guy on campus who says it works, but feels like we need to work out the problems of our department on our own. I get that. I mean He has stuff to do. But I am not a skilled unix person, just someone who is willing to keep trying piece by piece until I get it worked out. I have done so since Tuesday, a little here and a little there, but still no joy.

So I thought I would check with the list.

It is a good idea and when I can get it running, it will save us huge amounts of time every 6-12 months, or whenever we need to re-image.

So with that back ground, Oh Great One, Can you help me figure this out?

thanks

Mark Weiss
http://trustthechildren.blogspot.com