This is where Client scripting could come in quite handy. AJAX is an
excellent solution, but not the only solution.

The other option is for the web client to load the entire (or perhaps, a
partial) location list and perform all (or with AJAX, some of) the
calculations client side. The form elements should be disabled until the
client script and values are loaded, thus preventing the user from using
them until they are ready in the browser. The values could be in a JS array,
and include the HTML snippets that the page needs to display about the
location.

This is not too different from pulling in a list of cities for a state or
province in one pull down to poulate another.

You may also find it convenient to create multiple smaller files, each one
carrying a subset of locations. You may want to do this to be able to both
load the answer file array faster, and to perform the calculations quicker.
The form would need to know which file to grab based on the range of the zip
code. How many files you'd need would be based on how large you data set is,
and what kind of response time you looking for. The files can be totally
dynamic (ie directly from the TAF file), or else  created once a day, once a
week, or else once a month; it really depends on how frequently you're
updating your location list.