On that note, don't forget to turn on Application and Include file
caching in the witango server.  Years ago, with simple .taf based
development, we got along for a while without that turned on.  Our CMS
has grown so much that I don't know how we ever operated without it.

On the subject of Standard vs. Professional.  I would most definitly
say that Pro is worth it.  In fact, there is no such thing as a
non-pro server anymore anyway.  The new pricing lowered the price of
the pro server to about what a standard was, if i remember right.

Anyway, I like pro, because I can have 4 app servers running on
physical hardware, and if one crashes, everything just keeps moving
along.  But I also run multiple servers in a cluster so I have
hardware redundancy as well.  If Standard is truly using only "some"
of the CPUs then pro should get you some more simultaneous users out
of that server...

good luck.

/John

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Robert Garcia <wita...@bighead.net> wrote:
> My personal opinion, with the cost of licenses and the way witango performs
> is to us multiple single processor servers in a load group.
>
> Also, witango suffers very heavily due to its lack of page caching, or output
> data caching. Every modern app server should have this. We no longer use
> witango in any large enterprise type installation, but when we did we wrote
> our own output data caching mechanism in witango, and it allowed us to get
> the 3-4x the level of performance out of the systems, since we could cache
> output from certain pages for certain periods of time. For instance, lets say
> you have a page that displays product data that has a lot of expensive
> processes within that looks up data and parses into special displays and
> such. So one taf, but many products, and the page is expensive, however it
> may only get updated 3-4x per day. So we used our cache system to cache the
> output based on the ?sku= argument and the time to live for hte cache was 2
> hours. So the cache was only built for each page on the first hit, and stored
> for 2 hours. So for 2 hours this page was not read from the DB and witango
> processes, but read from a cached output from disk. It worked extremely well
> and works like similar mechanisms used in PHP (ZF) and other languages. You
> can keep spending money on licenses but this type of caching mechanism can
> increase performance exponentially if deployed correctly.
>
> Who knows, maybe something like that will come in witango 7, in 2013 or so.
> Either way, it is possible to write your own in witango, and it does work.
>
> --
>
> Robert Garcia
> President - BigHead Technology
> VP Application Development - eventpix.com
> 13653 West Park Dr
> Magalia, Ca 95954
> ph: 530.645.4040 x222 fax: 530.645.4040
> rgar...@bighead.net - rgar...@eventpix.com
> http://bighead.net/ - http://eventpix.com/
>
> On Feb 23, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Bill Downall wrote:
>
>> Can anyone share experiences with moving from Standard to Professional, to
>> take advantage of processors two, three and four? I have two servers that
>> are getting more traffic that ever before, and slower responses. One is
>> losing it's database connection every time there are are large number of
>> users connected. There will still be only one data source that will have to
>> be shared by multiple instances of Witango (5.5).
>>
>> Is it worth the upgrade price to try to goose performance and stability?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bill

/John