That makes sense, and 4 cpus seems to be reasonable, so if you are using Amazon
EC2 for instance, you would be prohibited from using only the largest of
instances for standard, but others should be ok, correct? Up to 4 virtual cores
should be fine with windows or linux?

Standard Instances

Instances of this family are well suited for most applications.

Small Instance (Default) 1.7 GB of memory, 1 EC2 Compute Unit (1 virtual core
with 1 EC2 Compute Unit), 160 GB of local instance storage, 32-bit platform
Large Instance 7.5 GB of memory, 4 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2
EC2 Compute Units each), 850 GB of local instance storage, 64-bit platform
Extra Large Instance 15 GB of memory, 8 EC2 Compute Units (4 virtual cores with
2 EC2 Compute Units each), 1690 GB of local instance storage, 64-bit platform
Micro Instances

Instances of this family provide a small amount of consistent CPU resources and
allow you to burst CPU capacity when additional cycles are available. They are
well suited for lower throughput applications and web sites that consume
significant compute cycles periodically.

Micro Instance 613 MB of memory, up to 2 ECUs (for short periodic bursts), EBS
storage only, 32-bit or 64-bit platform
High-Memory Instances

Instances of this family offer large memory sizes for high throughput
applications, including database and memory caching applications.

High-Memory Extra Large Instance 17.1 GB memory, 6.5 ECU (2 virtual cores with
3.25 EC2 Compute Units each), 420 GB of local instance storage, 64-bit platform
High-Memory Double Extra Large Instance 34.2 GB of memory, 13 EC2 Compute Units
(4 virtual cores with 3.25 EC2 Compute Units each), 850 GB of local instance
storage, 64-bit platform
High-Memory Quadruple Extra Large Instance 68.4 GB of memory, 26 EC2 Compute
Units (8 virtual cores with 3.25 EC2 Compute Units each), 1690 GB of local
instance storage, 64-bit platform
High-CPU Instances

Instances of this family have proportionally more CPU resources than memory
(RAM) and are well suited for compute-intensive applications.

High-CPU Medium Instance 1.7 GB of memory, 5 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores
with 2.5 EC2 Compute Units each), 350 GB of local instance storage, 32-bit
platform
High-CPU Extra Large Instance 7 GB of memory, 20 EC2 Compute Units (8 virtual
cores with 2.5 EC2Compute Units each), 1690 GB of local instance storage,
64-bit platform

--

Robert Garcia
President - BigHead Technology