I’m happy to answer your questions, however it’s not likely to work well to use
Witango.

I understand that I need to declare the charset to UTF-8 to display the
characters. Do I actually need to install a language pack on the server to
display?

No. The server just needs to manage data. You may need to install language
packs if you want to see the web pages render correctly in IE or have a text
editor render correctly – but it’s not technically necessary for you to read
the content in order to manipulate it. Just keep in mind that if you are
manipulating UTF-8 data by hand (like in a text editor) then that text editor
must read and write UTF-8 encoded files.

Right now I have no language packs installed on any machines so when I get
Chinese text it displays as a series of boxes. Can I change the charset to
UTF-8 and just cut and paste the boxes? Will that display correctly?

It should, as long as you copy and paste with a UTF-8 capable text editor. Keep
in mind that the TAF/TCF structure uses 8859-1 encoding and therefore cannot
hold UTF-8 characters. You can’t copy and paste them into the Studio nor
manually into the TAF/TCF. Also, you can’t put them into an include file
because the Server will not strip out the BOM, although it will pass the
encoded characters unaltered to the webpage (I think – untested).

I think I can display both English and Chinese on the same page, is this
correct?

Of course, the first 128 characters of the UTF-8 character set are the exact
same characters as ASCII. What you can’t do is use any high-bit characters from
the 8859-1 encoding without first re-encoding them into UTF-8. This would be
true for most accented characters.

I will more then likeyy be adding this text via email into the Witango editor,
is there a problem with this?

As I noted before, you cannot copy UTF-8 encoded content into the Witango
Studio. It will be corrupted.

I take it that using MS SQL for data would be a bit more complicated?

Yes, you may recall seeing that most data types in MS SQL have a variant that
begins with an ‘n’, such as char has nchar. Well, the n means that the column
can hold UTF-8 encoded characters. It’s also true that you need to signal in
the SQL query when you are passing UTF-8 encoded content. It works like this:
UPDATE table SET column = N’My UTF-8 Encoded Text’ WHERE primary_key = 1 Note
the N preceding the UTF-8 encoded string.

Is this as easy as it seems to be?

I don’t believe it’s easy, no.

Is there a simple step by step doc/webpage/place I could go for more
information?

Not that I am aware of, but Google is your friend.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to respond to the client with at
least a very base knowledge of how this will work without getting egg on my
face. Right now they have supplied me with artwork of some very base
translations for some of the headers on certain pages and I think they are
wondering if we could take the next step and actually use the language.

You should be able to get this to work if you follow these 2 steps. Although
note that I have never tried this myself, so I could be completely wrong:

1)      Force your current English pages to have UTF-8 encoding – this is
simply done by setting the Meta information on the HTML document accordingly.
If any characters look incorrect (probably question marks) on the web page,
then you must correct these first. You can use the <@CIPHER> tag to convert
from 8859-1 to UTF-8.

2)      Then place all of the Chinese text into the SQL server. Use proper
UTF-8 aware tools to do so, so that you SQL Server has properly encoded content
in it. Now, the trick is that when Witango reads data out of the database and
puts it onto the webpage it should not alter it. This is the part I’m not 100%
about. If I’m right then the UTF-8 encoded content will go onto the webpage
without issue and your browser will display it properly. Note that you can not
do ANY manipulation of the content in Witango.

Robert

  _____

with "unsubscribe witango-talk" in the body.