I have a question regarding the patching strategy for my product. Currently, each build creates a msi with a unique name such as: product_2_0_111.msi. This name represents the productname, major version, minor version, and build number.

As the msi name and version strings change per build, then each msi requires to be a major upgrade.

So, the question is, how should one go about patching the 2.0, 2.01, and 2.02 releases? The product codes, msi names, and version strings will differ for each release.

We need to allow side-by-side installations of each release, so the customer or developer can compare quality, etc.. As such, the remove-then-install action between major upgrades is not an option.

The following order would be supported.

Available on 07/07/06:
   product_2_0_111.msi  - initial product release

Available on 08/08/06:
   product_2_01.msp     - patch for product_2_0_111.msi

   product_2_01_222.msi - latest product install for people
                          who didn't install the previous version

Available on 09/09/06:
product_2_02.msp - patch for product_2_0_111.msi or product_2_01_222.msi

   product_2_02_222.msi - latest product install for people
                          who didn't install the previous version(s)

Does anybody have a <PatchCreation> section that I could use as a guide to see how this is done? Any examples would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jon