Jon Week wrote:
> The patching scenario is as follows:
>
> The product 1.0 is released.
>
> The patch 1.01.msp is released and built against 1.0.
>
> Another patch is needed, 1.02.msp.  This patch is built against 1.0 so it
> would include all of the changes since the original release.  (The plan is
> that 1.02.msp would supercede 1.01.msp and not require 1.01.msp to be
> installed.)
>
> However, if 1.01.msp is already installed, then the installation of 1.02.msp
> will fail with the error:
>
> "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
> because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may
> update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
> upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade
> patch."
>
> So, as nobody has ever posted a solution to such a problem, is this concept
> of patching not even supported?  Is the only solution to patch against the
> last patch, and thus require multiple patches for the product?

AFAIK, this concept of patching  is supported (i do use major upgrade
scenario with series of patches in my products; using msi 2.0 schema).
Problem you've described is considered to be an msi 3.0 engine bug. It
seems that just installing msi 3.1 will fix the problem.

One more thing, you have to author "UpgradeImage" element properly in
build-my-patch.wxs script:
add new "TargetImage" element for every version of your product the
resulting patch must apply to.
Also, please consider a wix docs for "TargetProductCode" element,
"AllowMajorVersionMismatches" attribute --
that information you may find useful.