From: Calin Iaru [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 4:42 AM
To: Chesong Lee; wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Device scan before install

Hi Chesong,

    thanks for the link. From the FAQ:
"
Does the message cautioning that the hardware is unplugged at the end of
the install actually scan for
Hardware IDs? Or does this message just assume that the hardware isn't
plugged in because a
"software first" install has just completed?

DIFxApp checks to determine whether or not the hardware is connected.
"
Not much to handle here.

I think I will opt for a custom action. The logs generated by MSIEXEC
after the
Device Manager detected the hardware as "Other Device" show an extra call:

DIFXAPP: INFO:   ENTER UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices...
MSI (s) (74!D0) [14:17:28:906]: Closing MSIHANDLE (128) of type 790531
for thread 1488
MSI (s) (74!D0) [14:17:33:703]: Creating MSIHANDLE (129) of type 790531
for thread 1488
DIFXAPP: SUCCESS:RETURN UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices.

Maybe I can find the exact SetupAPI function which does a Hardware Scan
before installing - the
obvious candidate is the function above, but I need more info.

Other driver installers like the Intel Ethernet Controller scan before
installing - it uses InstallShield though.

Best regards,
    Calin