Rick Glos wrote:

We just released version 5.0 of our product.  Spending 6 weeks updating our installer (we have a custom C# installer).  I can see our new customers instead using a new .msi for later versions (5.5, 6.0, etc).  What do I do about our existing customers when they wish to upgrade?  They’ve never installed originally with a Windows Installer.  How do I get them on the same track?

MSI has support for automatically upgrading other MSI installations to later versions. You won't be able to use that with your custom installer but you can fake it. For example, use RegistrySearch or FileSearch to locate old installations, then provide UI that prompts them to uninstall first.
--
sig://boB
http://bobs.org