From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave Williamson
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 1:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 'Eric Fesh'; wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Request for Advice regarding File Organisation

Ok.  I read the blog(s).

If 2 unrelated installs install the same shared file (say comctl32.ocx) both
the installs need to use the same GUID for the
component that contains the comctl32.ocx file so that reference counting isn't
thrown askew?

And if that is the case then the comctl32.ocx author's merge module must be
used by all parties so they keep the same GUID.

WOW.  That means any installation that I put together must use merge modules
from the shared file authors.  And in my little bit of
experience in creating installers I have found that the merge modules have
quirks and bugs that I can't wait on them to fix and must
create my own merge module that installs the shared file.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and please be wrong) ... because if I'm not then this
isn't so much a technical decision as much a business
decision ... the decision being do we use technology on which our productivity
depends on the productivity of a 3rd party.

Dave Williamson
Clear Sky Software
704.568.5544 sales
704.554.6300 support