Hello:

Has anyone considered using name-based (e.g. URL-based) UUID's, as
specified in RFC 4122, to reduce the tedium of creating Windows
Installer packages with WIX?  This would be especially helpful for
component GUID's.  Maybe the Component element could have an optional
GuidUrl attribute, which would create a version 3 (MD5 hash) or version
5 (SHA-1 hash) from the specified URL.  To reduce repetition in the
source file, the author could use WIX variables in this attribute, like
this:

<Component Id="Foo" GuidUrl="$(var.ComponentBaseUrl)/foo"
DiskId="$(var.DiskId)">

It would certainly beat running uuidgen for each component.

Are there any problems with using RFC 4122 name-based UUID's as Windows
Installer GUID's?  I've never really understood the difference, if any,
between a UUID and a GUID.  It looks like this idea should work, but I'm
new to Windows Installer and WIX, so I may be missing something.

Thanks.

--
Matt Campbell
Lead Programmer