Thanks, Jason.  I looked up the information in the link but couldn’t find anything that would be helpful to me.

Suppose I want write an installer wix file that executes app.exe sometime during installation.  If app.exe returns 0 it proceeds with the installation,  if it returns 1, it opens dialog1, and if it returns 2, it opens dialog2.  I know how you can sequence dialogs and custom actions with <InstallUISequence> and <InstallExecuteSequence> respectively, but I’m not sure how to handle the case of how to continue sequencing upon different conditions returned by a call to an .exe file.

Any help where I can find a simple example on this will be much appreciated.

Ted

From: Jason Swager [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 3:23 PM
To: Theodore Kuo (Siemens Business Services Inc); wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] How to check for returned value of a call to app.exe

When using Return="check", the executable should return zero for success and non-zero for failure.  I don't think there is a way to respond to different returns - if it fails, your install halts.  If it succeeds, the install continues.  If you need to pass information back from the executable, consider writing a custom action that can modify properties.

See the MSI documention for additional details: <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url="">
"Theodore Kuo (Siemens Business Services Inc)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

I’m still new to Wix, so I’m sorry if my question may seem rudimentary to you.

I’m trying to get Wix to execute an application that returns a status (i.e. OK or an error code), and have Wix checked on the return status and perform further action based on the returned status.  I used custom action to execute the application as follow:

<CustomAction Id="ApplicationId" Directory="INSTALLDIR" ExeCommand="app.exe" Execute="commit" Impersonate="yes" Return="check"></CustomAction>

I’m not sure what the Return value should be (is “check” correct?).  Now how do I check for the returned status of app.exe and perform further actions?

Your quick reply will be much appreciated as I need to get this done by end of the day.

Thanks,

Ted