Interesting and I believe I saw it before:

    set the feature level to 0 if  InstallMode is Typical. It installs
the remaining feature (those with level 1); an upgrade later
and all features are installed.
    But if I do an InstallMode Custom, and select the features from the
SelectionTree, then the upgrade
will upgrade only that feature.

    Typical + Upgrade = Upgrade All //wrong
    Custom + Upgrade = Upgrade Custom  //right