Well, I'm out of ideas. Here's some of the things I've tried...

1) Made sure that I was running the installer as administrator.

2) Made sure that the file was in DOS/Windows format by converting the file.
Tried several variations of this including passing it through a perl script and
cutting/pasting the file contents into a Notepad session.

3) Attempted to make sure that the file was in UTF-8 format since that's what
the header on the XML declares it as.

4) Removed the UTF-8 format declaration in case the file wasn't in UTF-8.

5) Tried several tools to validate the XML in vcc.conf. The results were iffy,
but I'm positive that's because the validators themselves were no good. I
downloaded a professional-quality XML editor on a trial basis and it told me
the
file was fine.

6) Tried updating the Microsoft XML parser.

7) Tried removing the custom action that starts the OSMon service at the end of
the install in case that was locking the file before the XML editing custom
action could edit it.

8) Tried removing the file from the installation to see if the installer could
open the file if it was already on disk (in theory, this should have eliminated
the Windows Installer service as a process that might have a lock on the file).

9) Hardcoded the path to the file in case the variable specification I used was
causing issues.

10) Tried removing the comments in the file.

11) Tried removing the comments and entries in the file.\

12) Tried removing everything but the XML header from the file.

13) Tried using an empty file.

*shrug* Guess I'll need to find an alternate solution of some sort.

--

Eric Fesh
Customer Support Engineer/Software Test Engineer

The information contained in this communication may be confidential and is
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If the reader of
this communication is not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or
any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you are not a named
recipient or received this communication by mistake, please notify the sender
and delete the communication and all copies of it.