Thanks for suggesting that workaround.  I've set the package languages
to contain the same language as the product (1033).  The progress
strings are still not displayed during uninstall.

I've tried setting the installer version attribute of the package to
100, 200, and 300.  No difference.

I haven't found anything on the web about this kind of customization,
and the "WiX edit" tool doesn't seem to have any support for it.

Has anyone managed to get this customization to work?  Is there a
sample anywhere that does it?

Alex