William Jones wrote:
> I came up with a solution, but I'm not sure it's the right one.  I
> generate a new product code on every build (so every build looks like
> a major upgrade).  I detect when I'm doing a week-to-week upgrade and
> sequence the RemoveExistingProducts action for that case, as well as
> an upgrade from a prior version.  This seems to work, but it generates
> a warning during validation in Orca.
If you're willing to sequence RemoveExistingProducts early, as you're
doing, then the previous version will be completely uninstalled before
the new version is installed, so it should work.

You don't need to worry about putting conditions on
RemoveExistingProducts -- MSI is smart enough to do something only if it
found a prior version that needs removing.

Note that not having build numbers as part of the file versions really
complicates patching. It also means that MSI can't distinguish among
different files -- if a file has versioninfo, MSI uses it to the
exclusion of other, weaker methods like timestamps.

--
sig://boB
http://bobs.org