From: Mike Dimmick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 12:47 PM
To: Douglas Watts; wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [WiX-users] Create User and Set Permissions

The <Permission> element references user accounts by name. It's fine to reference a user you're creating under a component because the ConfigureUsers custom action (which schedules the CreateUser action) is scheduled before the InstallFiles action and therefore the user should be created before any files are installed and the permissions set.

(ConfigureUsers is referenced by the compiler in ParseUserElement in src\wix\Compiler.cs, and is defined in src\ca\serverca\scawixlib\sca.wxs. The actual function is implemented in src\ca\scasched\scasched.cpp.)

If you need to create the user from multiple features which might be selected independently of each other, you should include the component which creates the user in all features. It should be OK (I think) to have the component only create the user and not contain any files. It does mean that the key path of the component will be the <Directory> that it's contained in.

--

Mike Dimmick