"Mike Dimmick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> New in v3, and I recently answered a question about this:  see
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=36966863.

Thanks. I too figured it out by peeking the code, however, I found
another way that I consider preferable to supplying command line
parameters: I added the following elements in <Product>:

<WixVariable Id="WixUIBannerBmp" Value="Installation\images\My-banner.bmp"/>
<WixVariable Id="WixUIDialogBmp"
Value="Installation\images\My-banner-large.bmp" />
<WixVariable Id="WixUIExclamationIco"
Value="Installation\images\WarningIcon.ico" />
<WixVariable Id="WixUIInfoIco" Value="Installation\images\QuestionIcon.ico" />
<WixVariable Id="WixUINewIco" Value="Installation\images\Dir-new.ico" />
<WixVariable Id="WixUIUpIco" Value="Installation\images\Dir-up.ico" />
<WixVariable Id="WixUILicenseRtf" Value="Installation\LicenseAgreement.rtf" />

However I wonder what good it is, that the Binary Ids for images
(e.g. WixUIBannerBmp) are localised. Every localisation file (wxl)
*MUST* specify a <String> element (actually several elements because
there seem to be a mapping from several controls to same Binary Id)
like this: <String Id="WelcomeDlgBitmap"
Overridable="yes">WixUI_Bmp_Dialog</String> (and similar for other
Id-values). Otherwise the WixUI library wont work. The text
"WixUI_Bmp_Dialog" can of course be any of the other 5 Binary Ids, and
it will compile, but it will render ugly due to shape mismatch. I
find it waste of a translators time to copy all these entries, and it
messes up the wxl file, with many entries that does not give any
practical customisation. Please enlight me if I got something wrong,
here.

It seems like localisation of Binary Ids is a result of the fact that
Binary Ids is specified in the Text attribute of the <Control>
element, and that attribute is (for consistency, I assume) always
localised. The result, however is confusing, and gives an impression
of customisation, which is virtually not there (at least not that
way). If bitmaps needs to be localised (because they may contain text,
flags, maps, etc.)  one must do something like this anyway:
<WixVariable Id="WixUIBannerBmp"
Value="Installation\images\$(loc.LANG)\My-banner.bmp"/>, right?

Basically I don't consider it a very clean design to use the Text
attribute to specify Binary Id, but I assume that is resemble Windows
Installer tables, where the Binary Ids are stored in the Text column
of the Control table. So I consider it a design flaw of Windows
Installer rather than a design flaw of Wix.

Jarl

--
Jarl Friis
Softace ApS