-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Geoff
Finger
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 10:55 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Installing shared assemblies

Thanks Mike for your earlier help with private assemblies. We've dropped
the idea of doing anything special with them but as expected we've moved
on to shared assemblies so I've got some more questions for anyone who
can help.

I've taken one of our old COM dlls and added an AssemblyInfo.cpp with
what I hope is the right Assembly values. The debug version still builds
as a normal dll which I then use to generate the manifest for the
release version (I'm unsure if there's anyway around this.)

There's a warning that embedding the manifest invalidates the signature,
but resigning it sn works, as does adding it to the GAC directly with
gacutil.

When I ran heat on the dll it generates a a file id line and a whole lof
of Interface Id lines. I modified them to fit the merge module slightly
as
follows:

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
<Directory Id="Assembly" Name="Assembly">
   <Component Id="MyModuleComponent"
   Guid="6C291D26-C78D-45e4-B05E-27EC5EEA97A7">
     <File Id="SO80.dll " Name="SO80.dll" Assembly=".net"
     KeyPath="yes"
     Source="..\..\libs\SO\Build\$(var.PLATFORM)\Release\SO80.dll">
       <TypeLib Id="{DC37D6AD-1489-45B9-8F1E-162CF65E1FB2}"
       Description="Server
       Objects 8.0" HelpDirectory="Assembly" Language="0"
       MajorVersion="1" MinorVersion="0">
         <Interface Id="{0118AF21-A6C1-44EE-9AAE-2C48E634DE17}"
         Name="IAnnotation"
         ProxyStubClassId="{00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
         ProxyStubClassId32="{00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}" />
etc.

If I use that then upon instalation I get "Could not register type
library for file C:\Assembly\SO80.dll."

If I remove the Interface lines it seems to install fine and it shows up
in the GAC when I check with .Net Framework 2.0 Configuration. However
when I try to use the assembly in VBS with the line "set s =
CreateObject("SO80.Application") (which worked with the old dll) I get
"ActiveX Component can't create object: ' SO80.Application' Code:
800A01AD"

I know that if you're dealing with a .Net assembly you have to make a
COM interop, but I thought that was what the manifest was for in an
assembly that was already COM. I had the initial impression that the
purpose of the GAC was to eliminate storing information in the registry,
but I've been informed that in order for COM objects to be accessible
there still needs to be information in the registry which isn't
currently showing up when I run the installation. Is gacutil/msi
supposed to have done the registration, meaning that my assembly is just
broken, or was that something I needed to include in wix? If it's the
Interface stuff that I had to remove then how can I include it without
getting the above error?

Thanks for any help!

-
security?
easier Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache
Geronimo