Are you distributing this merge module to anyone else who isn't using WiX? If not, it may be a lot easier to convert from a Module to a Fragment and simply link it into the main installer.

light can accept any number of .wixobj and .wixlib files on the command line. The only restriction is that you may only have one <Product> or <Module> element - all others must be <Fragment>s.

--
Mike Dimmick

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tina Basinger
Sent: 07 November 2006 18:43
To: Wix Group
Subject: [WiX-users] Merge Modules Read Main Install Property

I have a case where my merge modules need to tell if they are running in an upgrade, or a fresh install.  I have a property that is getting set in my main install to indicate that an upgrade is occurring.  I thought that I could then just use that property in my merge modules to condition actions to run during an upgrade or not.  However, whenever I build my merge module, the property name in my condition in my merge module always gets postfixed with the merge module's Package Id.  For example, I have the following custom action being called in my InstallExecuteSequence:
                  <Custom Action ="hello" After= "FindRelatedProducts">NOT PATCHFOUND></ Custom>

However, after i've compiled and linked my merge module, if i view the MSM using Orca, the condition becomes:
                 NOT PATCHFOUND.4C8C0BBC_B22A_4779_BC25_143C28598F7D

Is there any way for a merge module to use the properties defined in the main install?

Thanks!
-Tina