This seems not an upgrade specific problem. I did uninstall then new
install using a different port, and the shortcut created by the new
install picked up the port used previously. Something really wired is
that the content of the .url file doesn't match the shortcut. Open the
.url file it has:

[InternetShortcut]

URL=http://localhost:6060

But open up the Properties of the shortcut, the URL field is
http://localhost:8080 <http://localhost:8080/> .

I thought the .url file itself is the shortcut. Why the content and
shortcut are inconsistent?

Bob, When you say "MSI won't otherwise remove the file.", what exactly
does it mean? Because I do see the shortcut got removed from the desktop
during uninstall. For the upgrade install, the shortcut gets removed and
recreated. Is there anywhere else the url information gets saved? I
tried you suggestion, but it seem only advanced the shortcut from the
"oldest" port to "older" port, still not the current. In all the cases,
the content of the .url file are always updated. It seems the shortcuts
being "remembered" somehow, but how? How can I "clean them up"?

Thanks,

Li