Chris,

                From the snippet you posted below, it looks like you're trying
to, at install time, choose what file gets included in the MSI.  That doesn't
work.  You have to author the MSI (call this build time) before you can try to
install it.  At build time, you have to supply all of the files that will be
included in the MSI.

                I don't understand why, if the file is already installed to the
file system, you would want to include it in your MSI.

                I don't even understand how that file would be present in your
installation directory before you install.  Your MSI shouldn't be installing to
another program's directory, so you should be creating the directory, and then
populating it.  The snippet below makes it seem like after you populate the
directory with your executable (from the MSI), you want to include the
executable in the MSI.

                If you are just trying to start your app after installing, you
want to look at the qt exec custom action, I think.  That should let you put in
a path to a file, and execute that file.  You'll just have to schedule the CA
after your install is complete.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 4:46 PM
To: Rob Mensching
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] WIX Post-Install Dialog Questions

Rob,
I have been through the tutorial.  I did not see anyplace that shows how to
connect an installation directory ID to a path used for a Binary declaration or
anything similar to that.

All that I need is the syntax to connect MY_APP_TARGET from this snipet:

       <Directory Id="MY_APP_TARGET" Name="MyApp" LongName="MyApplication">

to  the SourceFile value, $(var.MY_APP_TARGET), in this snipet:

   <Binary Id="MyAppExe" SourceFile="$(var.MY_APP_TARGET)\MyApp.exe" />

Since $(var.MY_APP_TARGET) does not work, nor does [!MY_APP_TARGET], what is
the syntax to connect the directory ID to the SourceFile?  How should the line
starting with "<Binary Id="MyAppExe" ... read?

If there is some other way of accomplishing the same thing, that would be fine
too.

Thanks,

Chris Ruel, Automation Consultant, Telvent Farradyne Inc.
3206 Tower Oaks Blvd., Rockville, MD  20852
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office:  301-984-6460  Fax:  301-816-1884

Rob Mensching <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Rob Mensching
12/07/2006 05:13 PM

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

cc:

"wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net" <wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>, "[EMAIL
PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

RE: [WiX-users] WIX Post-Install Dialog Questions

I would encourage you to walk through the WiX tutorial:
http://wix.sourceforge.net/tutorial.  There is a lot in your snippet below that
doesn't make a lot of sense so I'm guessing you're new to setup (I apologize,
if I've guessed wrong).