This is why the WiX bootstrapper doesn't cache to the TEMP directory.  Of
course, it doesn't handle reboots in the middle yet either... <shrug/>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jesse Englert
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 17:47
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Single deployable bootstrapper EXE in 7Zip
selfextracting archive

Right, I just noticed all the bootstrapper talk but it doesn't address my
problem.  I am doing what you suggested by using MSBuild GenerateBootstrapper
task to generate setup.exe and then using 7Zip (offers same functionality as
chilkatsoft) to create a self-extracting executable that launches the
bootstrapper(setup.exe).

I'll restate my problem again briefly but you may also re-read my prior post.
The problem occurs due to the bootstrapper installing Windows Installer 3.1
(WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe) which requires a reboot before
installing my application(setup.msi).  Now, the self-extracting executable
extracts everything to a temp directory which is erased during the reboot...so
when the installer attempts to install setup.msi after the reboot it cannot
find it because it is no longer where the self-extracting executable put it.
Does that make sense?

The problem resides in the application's prerequisites (i.e.
WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe) that require a reboot.  What this boils
down to is the self-extracting executable is not a robust solution.

Thoughts?

-Jesse

David Thielen wrote:

Hi;

There was just a bunch of emails on this as I was asking the same thing.

For the bootstrapper program, look at the GenerateBootstrapper task in MSBuild.

Once you have that, you now have 2 programs (your MSI and
GenerateBootstrapper's setup.exe). Combine them using http://chilkatsoft.com/

Thanks - dave

David Thielen

www.windwardreports.com<http://www.windwardreports.com>