No difference that I know of.  That's a built-in MSI action.  A verbose log
file should be able to show you more details about why it isn't installing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Janulewicz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 14:57
To: Joe Kaplan; Rob Mensching; wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [WiX-users] Verify user?

As a follow-up question, is there a difference in how this action
(ServiceInstall) acts in an XP environment vs Windows 2k3? The installer
I've developed on XP seems to install the service just fine in the dev
environment, but when I take the same installer over to a 2003 server it
seems to mostly skip that part altogether. It does write the registry
entries I would expect, but even a reboot of the 2003 server will not
get it to 'pop' into the services list. Any ideas? My code snippet looks
like this:

<ServiceInstall Id="DomainTestService"
        Account="[SERVICE_DOMAIN]\[SERVICE_USER]"
        Description="TestService"
        DisplayName="TestService"
        ErrorControl="ignore"
        Interactive="no"
        Name="TestService.exe"
        Password="SERVICE_PASSWORD"
        Start="auto"
        Type="ownProcess" />
<ServiceControl Id="DomainServiceControl"
        Name="TestService.exe"
        Stop="uninstall"
        Remove="uninstall" />

Earlier in the component I have the .exe set as a keyfile, etc. As I
said it works just fine on XP, seems to not work on 2K3.

Note that I do not want the service to start upon install, so I left the
'Start' key out of the ServiceControl item. Is this okay to do?

-Matt